Native American Heritage Month
Resources for Teaching STEM Students
When is it?
The month of November
What is it?
STEM Role Models:
- 18 Native Americans STEM Role models you should learn more about.
- 7 Indigenous Pioneers You Need to Know-These doctors, scientists, and activists have all paved an inspiring path
- Recognizing the impact of indigenous scientists
- Learn about Colonialism and Indigenous Sovereignty, presented by Lummi Nation and featuring Faithkeeper Oren Lyons, Part 1 and Part 2
- We are Indigenous, We are Scientists
- United States Courts shares information along with a video to call attention to the culture, traditions, and achievements of the nation’s original inhabitants and of their descendants.
- Explore Native American relationships— relationships to land, to creatural relatives, and to one another in the All My Relations podcast.
- Episode 25: What is Native Science
- Correcting History: Native Americans Tell Their Own Stories (Ep. 55)-How scholars helped a Chicago museum rethink its representation of Indigenous peoples
6 Stories That Explore Native Storytelling and Contemporary Culture-Celebrate the Start of Native American Heritage Month
Under-represented and underserved: Why minority role models matter in STEM
The staff members of First Nations Development Institute have compiled a list of what they consider to be essential reading for anyone interested in the Native American experience.
- Building a STEM Pathway for Native Students
- Journal of Native Sciences-This open access online journal gives preference to publishing high impact articles written by Native and Indigenous Peoples.
- Journal of Indigenous Research- Full Circle: Returning Research to the People
- American Indian Science & Engineering Society Scholarships
- Scholarship.com provides an extensive list of scholarship options
Native American Scholarships- Do You Qualify for Tribal Funds?
- Career Hub at American Indian Science & Engineering Society
- Aspiring Native scientists find support and inspiration in national STEM organization
Leadership & Resources:
- AISES, American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- SACNAS, Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics & Native Americans in Science
- NIEA, National Indian Education Association
- NAWiC, Native American Women in Computing
- NIEA Virtual Resources for Schools, Teachers, Parents and Students for Native American Heritage Month