Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
Resources for teaching STEM students
When is it?
The month of May
What is it?
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month is a period for the duration of the month of May for recognizing the contributions and influence of Asian Americans and Pacific Islander Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States.
STEM Role Models:
- Sci Dev Net includes an article written by Paul Icamina on the lack of role models in this area titled, More role models needed to inspire women to pursue science
- Famous Asian American & Pacific Islander scientists listed profiles
- Asian Americans Who Have Made a Difference including Steven Chu, a young scientist
- Infoplease provides a list of Asian-American Scientists
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month: Highlighting Asian American Engineers YouTube video introduces technical and industry leaders in SWE's Asian Connections Affinity Group: Tuyet-Hanh Schnell, Vanessa Li, Priya Sumal.
- PBS Saluting STEM Pioneers for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- NASA Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Profile - Wenshen Huang, GRC
- Celebrating APA Heritage Month with Past SWE President, Nora Lin podcast
- Balancing Work and Mom Life as an Engineer- APAHM podcast
- Episode 86: Celebrating Asian Pacific American Heritage Month highlighting Asian American and Pacific Islander women engineers
- Fifteen Role Models for Women and Girls in STEM seeks to achieve goals including raise awareness on the lack of women representatives in the Asia-Pacific STEM fields
- The Asia-Pacific Journal of Science and Technology (APST) is a peer-reviewed journal published by the Research and Technology Transfer Affairs Division
- The Asia-Pacific Journal of Regional Science expands the frontiers of regional science through the diffusion of intrinsically developed and advanced modern, regional science methodologies throughout the Asia-Pacific region
- Scholarships.com includes a lengthy list of Asian/Pacific Islander Scholarships
- Accredited Schools Online includes a page called Scholarships for Asian-Pacific Islander College Students
- Asian Pacific Fund is a community foundation that provides a list of scholarships with The Banatao Family Filipino American Education Fund and the Chevron Filipino Employee Network Scholarship especially for those interested in STEM fields
- ACS Scholars Program for minority students who want to enter the fields of chemistry or chemistry-related fields
- NASA National Scholarship Programs: Scholarship opportunity that focuses on underserved students in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math disciplines at the undergraduate level that provides a scholarship and internship at NASA Center or NASA Headquarters.
- The South Pacific Islander Organization aims to democratize Pacific Islander access to higher education and professional opportunities through digital resources. Explore their page to learn more
- Dartmouth provides an extensive list of resources on their center for professional development page
- Asian American and Pacific Islander career center
Leadership & Resources:
- People of Color in STEM: Asian, Pacific Islander a page on Tricollege Libraries discusses racial and ethnic minorities that are underrepresented in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields in the United States. This library guide seeks to center the voices and lived experiences of people of color (POC) in STEM.
- This article on The Diplomat provides an interesting take on STEM Gender Bias Cripples Asia-Pacific Region saying that the future depends on girls and women having equal opportunities to learn – and to contribute – in the STEM disciplines.
- Accredited Schools Online offers a list of On-Campus and Off-Campus Support for API Students
- The National Science Foundation's National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics (NCSES) celebrates Asian/Pacific American Heritage month with some insightful statistics about the contributions of Asian, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islanders in science and engineering
- Asia-Pacific Science Education (APSE): expanding opportunities for publishing science education research